Students interested in applying to Maryland Sea Grant’s REU summer program are required to submit the following components:
- Application form
- A one-page personal statement with a description of your interests, your academic and/or career goals, and expectations for the summer research experience (up to 500 words.) See our guide, How to Write a Personal Statement.
- Transcripts (unofficial transcripts released to student acceptable, electronic PDF or hard copy)
- A list of courses in progress
- Two letters of recommendations highlighting your academic abilities, works habits, and potential as a researcher. See our guide, How to Ask for a Letter of Recommendation.
All application components should be submitted through our online application portal.
Applicants will be notified in early April regarding their final status. Per National Science Foundation rules, students are not required to accept or reject an offer before March 15th. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your status, please contact Dr. Michael Allen, Associate Director for Research and Administration, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completing the Application Process
Letters of Recommendation
- The online application form will require you to include the name and contact information for your each of your referees; therefore, you should contact your potential referees BEFORE submitting the online application.
- Providing your referees’ email addresses gives us permission to contact them immediately so they can use our online system to send us letters of recommendation. Each referee will be asked to complete a short online form and submit his or her letter of recommendation.
- In the letter, your referee will be asked to assess your academic abilities, accomplishments, motivation, work habits, potential as a researcher, and your ability to participate in and benefit from a research internship program in marine science. The selection committee relies heavily on these comments.
- If you change a referee or email address in our online system, it is your responsibility to inform the former referee that he or she will not be able to submit a reference.
Uploading Your Application Packet
- After completing the online application, you will be able to upload electronic versions of your personal statement, transcripts (if available electronically), list of courses in progress, and resume to our online system.
- Application materials must be submitted in a PDF format. To create a PDF, you will need Adobe Acrobat on your computer or you can use a free online PDF converter. A trial version of Adobe Acrobat can be found at Adobe.com. A free online PDF converter is available at PDF Online.
Submitting your Application by Mail
- Your application may be submitted by regular mail, if you prefer. You may download an application packet here. Application materials should be sent to:
Dr. Michael Allen, Associate Director for Research & Administration
Maryland Sea Grant College
5825 University Research Court, Suite 1350
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20740
- Letters of recommendation not submitted via our online system must be sent on letterhead with a signature either as a PDF by e-mail to Dr. Allen at email@example.com or as an original letter by postal mail to the address listed above.