Reviewing a proposal?
Follow the link sent to you via email or contact us to resend the invitation.
Reviewing a fellowship proposal? Find guidance here
Your review of the proposal is separated into three sections. Please provide:
- A general numerical evaluation of specific aspects of the proposed project
- Detailed written comments that you feel will help the panel determine the merits of the project
- A score that reflects your overall rating of the proposal
Your numerical ratings give the panel a general idea of your judgment of the scientific merits and relevance of the proposal. Scores are tallied as part of the final proposal evaluation. Specific guidance on each ranking factor is provided below.
A. Research Plan
- Scientific merit: What is the scientific and technical feasibility of the study?
- Objectives: Are the scientific objectives clearly stated and justified?
- Methodology: Are the methods appropriate to the scientific problem outlined?
- Time Schedule: Can the PI complete the project in the allotted 24 month time frame specifically set in this Request for Proposal?
- Budget: Is the budget sufficient and realistic? Is there sufficient time budgeted for the PI and associated staff?
B. Relevance to Sea Grant
- Relevance: Is the proposal relevant to the current RFP and MDSG Strategic Plan?
- Appropriateness: How appropriate is support from Sea Grant for this proposal relative to other sources of funding? Does the proposal leverage Sea Grant resources effectively through coordination and collaboration with other programs, funding sources, and collaborators?
C. Potential Impact and Outreach
- Opportunities: Are there potential opportunities to link the research project to an outreach effort over short- or long-term timeframes? Is a well-developed plan proposed to translate the results of the study for end-users outside of direct scientific peers?
- Potential Impact: Does the research have a potential to impact public perceptions, management decisions, or policy? Does the proposed work contribute to broadening access to science or increasing diversity in the workforce (either for team members or stakeholders)?
- Team approach: Has the applicant assembled an effective collaborative or multidisciplinary team, if appropriate?
- Knowledge of the Field: Does the applicant demonstrate a clear, well-grounded knowledge of the field of study? Are the appropriate references acknowledged?
- Previous Contributions: Based upon the brief CV provided, does the applicant appear to possess the background and technical foundation needed to complete the project?
Based upon your numerical ratings and detailed comments, please provide an overall rating for this proposal. Please note that a rating of "excellent" should indicate a truly exceptional proposal that has the potential to address critical issues and make a substantive contribution over the life of the award.
Comments provided here are an essential component of the review process. They are in large part the technical basis upon which the panel makes decisions. Intellectual merit and consistency with the RFP should be highlighted. Comments made here should also address issues of relevancy and programmatic fit. In addition, a detailed technical evaluation provides vital insights that will help applicants formulate stronger research efforts and better proposals in the future. Please feel free to use this space to provide background and justification for your numerical ratings of the proposal.