Maryland Sea Grant seeks to hire a Legal Fellow and a Graduate Assistant. More details.
Students will be introduced to menhaden, their feeding behavior and how fishermen capture them in Chesapeake Bay.
1. Students will watch the following video clips to make observations about menhaden feeding behavior and the menhaden fishery.
2. Introduce the Claim-Evidence-Reasoning method to students.
Video clips listed below.
Pencil and paper
1. Menhaden swimming and feeding. PEW Charitable Trust,
2. Purse seining for menhaden on the Hush Puppy
3. After watching the video clips have students write down their observations either individually or in small groups.
4. Introduce Claim-Evidence-Reasoning method to students through the following video, http://www.edutopia.org/blog/science-inquiry-claim-evidence-reasoning-eric-brunsell
The video "My Dad's an Alien" commercial
Formative Assessment What are the possible connections between menhaden and stress on the Chesapeake Bay and marine food chain? Brainstorm some ideas in small group discussion and then share these with the class. Begin to use CER in group discussions as a format for developing ideas.
For more information download the Content Primer