The American Chestnut: From Dominance to Destruction
5E For This Lesson Plan
This activity captures the students' attention, stimulates their thinking, and helps them to access prior knowledge.
- Describe the ecological and societal values of American chestnuts in the United States.
In this section students are given time to think, plan, investigate, collect and organize information.
- Describe the impact of blight on the range of American chestnut population.
This performance-based activity helps students to connect all of the pieces of information involved in these lessons.
- Review and edit the American chestnut graphic organizer and fill in gaps discovered during the lesson activities.
- Develop a storyboard or comic strip about another invasive species that has had negative economic and ecological impacts.
- Present storyboard/comic strip to peers.