Your review of the proposal is separated into three sections. Please provide:
- A general numerical evaluation of specific aspects of the proposed project
- Detailed written comments that you feel will help the panel determine the merits of the project
- A score that reflects your overall rating of the proposal
Your numerical ratings give the panel a general idea of your judgment of the scientific merits and relevance of the proposal. Scores are tallied as part of the final proposal evaluation. Specific guidance on each ranking factor is provided below.
- Objectives and Methodology: Are the scientific objectives clearly stated and justified? Are the methods appropriate to the scientific problem outlined?
- Appropriate Time Schedule: Can the student complete the project in the outlined time frame specifically set in this Request for Proposal?
- Budget: Is the budget sufficient and realistic? Is there sufficient time budgeted for the PI, the student, and associated staff?
- Research Relevance for RFP and Maryland Sea Grant: Does the research project fit in the outlined topics of the RFP? Is the research project relevant to Maryland Sea Grant's Strategic Plan?
- Strength of Outreach Components: Does the student have a plan to meet with their outreach/end-user mentor? Is there a clear outreach program that reaches beyond the academic community?
- Potential Impact: Does the research have a potential to impact public perceptions, management decisions, or policy?
- Academic Record: Does the student have an appropriate background and academic record to complete the proposed study? Are the appropriate references acknowledged?
- Analytic, Communication Skills: Is the proposal well-written and clear?
- Potential Contributions: Based upon the career statement and the brief CV provided, does the student demonstrate interest in the field of study, and possess the background and technical foundation needed to complete the project?
Based upon your numerical ratings and detailed comments, please provide an overall rating for this proposal. Please note that a rating of "excellent" should indicate a truly exceptional proposal that has the potential to address critical issues and make a substantive contribution over the life of the award.
Comments provided here are an essential component of the review process. They are in large part the technical basis upon which the panel makes decisions. Intellectual merit and consistency with the RFP should be highlighted. Comments made here should also address issues of relevancy and programmatic fit. In addition, a detailed technical evaluation provides vital insights that will help applicants formulate stronger research efforts and better proposals in the future. Please feel free to use this space to provide background and justification for your numerical ratings of the proposal.